In 2003 the Memorial Union’s Lakefront on Langdon was extensively renovated. The goals of the renovation included providing a more upscale and showcase restaurant facility as well as opening up the space and making it more visible to other parts of the building. Furnishings were included together with other adaptations such as flexible lighting systems and air conditioning to facilitate the use of the space for a variety of activities. Nevertheless, the Lakefront on Langdon’s main purpose is as a restaurant facility.
Guidelines for assigned use of the Lakefront on Langdon:
In order to preserve the functionality of the space for its intended use as a restaurant facility, the Lakefront on Langdon will only be reserved for specific events that are not open to all members of the Madison and campus communities under the following guidelines:
- When the space is not open as a restaurant, such as Saturday mornings and Sundays, the space may be reserved for events with the approval of the Campus Event Services Director.
- Requests should be addressed to the Campus Event Services Director with copies to the Building Services Manager, the Food Service Assistant Director for the Restaurant Division, and the Manager of the Lakefront on Langdon.
- Except in rare circumstances and with Building Services approval, all requests for use of the Lakefront on Langdon should be for a standard set-up and not include major moving of the furniture.
- Requests for WUD programs in the Lakefront on Langdon during open hours should be brought to the Series Coop Meeting by the WUD volunteer and/or the Committee advisor.
- Large summer conferences with attendance of 500 or more participants will be allowed to hold their catered buffet meals in the Lakefront on Langdon. Notification of conference dates must be submitted at least six months in advance to the Lakefront on Langdon Manager, the Food Service Assistant Director for the Restaurant Division, the Union Assistant Directors for Food and Retail and Facilities, and the Campus Event Services Director.
- The Nursing School graduation reception is allowed to be held in the Lakefront on Langdon per the Union Assistant Director for Food and Retail. Reception dates should be sent to the Manager of the Lakefront on Langdon at least two months in advance.
- Exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing by the Union Assistant Director for Food and Retail.
For interpretations, resolution of problems, and special situations contact: Wisconsin Union Assistant Director-Facilities Management