The Orchard Street Mall (the area between Union South and Computer Sciences) is an integral part of the Wisconsin Union’s public image and is primarily a pedestrian thoroughfare, as well as a fire lane. As a recognized UW–Madison outdoor location, the Orchard Street Mall is subject to all UW–Madison and Wisconsin Union facility use policies and guidelines. The Plaza area is not part of this policy.
The Orchard Street Mall Guidelines
- University and university-sponsored groups may reserve the mall for events that include the placing of tables, chairs, temporary structures, or display items on the mall provided that the items will not damage the grounds in any way or interfere with other university activities. Reservations are not required for informal meetings or other small gatherings. The fire lane must be preserved.
- All events must be open to the campus community.
- Space requests may be made starting May 1st for the following academic year. Wisconsin Union reserves the right to program and schedule that space further out for large campus-wide events.
- The Orchard Street Mall can be reserved by up to four groups concurrently. Groups will be assigned to specific spaces and expected to stay in their reserved area.
- Groups may reserve more than one section if the space is available and may use the space no more than two times a semester.
- In general, groups will not be able to have sound amplification on the Orchard Street Mall. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis when it is deemed essential to the event. Sound levels will stay within the University and Neighborhood agreement guidelines. For sound amplification requirements, please see UWS 18.11(5).
- Student organizations sponsoring donation collection, sales, or resale functions will be assessed a charge of $15.00 per day. This fee must be paid at the time the reservation is created. No sales of food items are allowed.
- All food and/or beverages must be purchased or supplied by the Wisconsin Union. No donating food will be allowed.
- One table with two chairs will be provided for free. Any additional equipment may be rented through the Campus Event Services Office.
- All requests for additional equipment are dependent on availability and should be directed to the Campus Event Services Office at email@example.com or 262-2511.
For interpretations, resolution of problems, and special situations contact: Wisconsin Union Campus Event Services Director