This policy documents expenses not payable or reimbursable by the university. The list is not all-inclusive.
Note: Sponsored projects (e.g., fund 144 or 133) are subject to the terms and conditions of the specific award, as well as applicable program guidelines, which may restrict the use of funds for certain types of expenses. Contact the Research and Sponsored Programs accountant for your award with any questions.
Following is a list of expenses that are not payable or reimbursable with university funds:
- Professional license fees
- Late payment penalties and interest on My Corporate Card
- Lost/stolen cash or personal property
- Traffic citations, parking tickets, and other fines
- Locksmith charges on either fleet, rental or personal vehicle, except when fleet or rental vehicles experience mechanical problems
- Parking costs at the assigned workplace
- Additional charges for late checkout or un-canceled pre-payments (unless justified)
- Airline, car, hotel, and corporate card club membership dues
- Childcare or other dependent costs
- Kennel fees
- Decorative items – The purchase of decorative items (plants, paintings, flowers, etc.) from university-administered funds is allowable only if the items are placed in a general reception area frequented by students and/or the general public. Additionally, decorative items may be purchased for an event if the participant’s fees cover payment for the items. The purchase of items placed in employee lounges, assigned offices or other work areas are not allowable.
- Appliances for break rooms (e.g. microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers) are allowable if they are part of an approved building project or they are replacing existing, faulty appliances. Appliances for individual use in private offices are not allowed.
- Flight insurance
- Trip insurance
- Services paid directly to an individual by the university are allowable; however, due to the tax implications, services may not be paid by employees out of pocket and then claimed for reimbursement.
Consequences for Noncompliance
The university will not pay or reimburse for any cost that is non-compliant with this policy. Failure to comply with UW–Madison policy or procedures may result in disciplinary steps, up to and including dismissal.