“UWS 18.08 Conduct on University Lands.(9) Postings and Signage. No person may erect, post or attach any signs, posters, pictures or any item of a similar nature in or on any building or upon other university lands except on regularly established bulletin boards, or as authorized by the provision of this code or by the chief administrative officer.”
When approved by the administrative officer, banners, signs and decorations have a limited display time. Banners are primarily intended to promote activities and events on the campus. The display is to be decorative in character and informative in function. The exhibit will be located and fastened in a manner that will not cause damage to the facilities or create a safety hazard. Any exceptions requires approval of Facilities Planning & Management.
Banners are not to be displayed from the pedestrian bridges crossing over University Avenue and over Park Street.
Banners displayed from Alicia Ashman Pedestrian Bridge crossing over Campus Avenue require approval from the City Clerk’s Office, City of Madison. (608) 261-9171
Displays must meet the following requirements:
- Design approved by FP&M Planning Office and Physical Plant.
- Installation approved by Physical Plant. A purchase requisition is required if Physical Plant is to install and/or remove the banner.
- Duration of display is limited to 14 consecutive days.
- Made of durable materials
- Chancellor's office approval is required for use of institutional banners on poles or buildings on Bascom Hill.
Institutional banners on poles or buildings on Bascom Hill are restricted to themes that represent the institution as a whole. The Chancellor's office approves the use of institutional banners on Bascom Hill, as well as the time periods during which they may be displayed. University Communications works with Campus Services regarding the set-up, take-down, repair and replacement of banners.