Primary Use: The facilities of the Athletic Department are primarily for the competition, practice, training and support service needs of the teams and student athletes of the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, and for events directly related to the mission of the division.
Permitted Use: Other departments, programs, and registered student organizations of the UW–Madison may schedule events in Athletic Department facilities. Non-university organizations may use the Athletic Department facilities if the event is sponsored by a UW–Madison department or program or if the event is being held at the invitation of the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics or the chancellor, provided:
- Such use will not detract from the mission of the university or the use of the facilities by organizations associated with the university, and
- The facility is available and fits the proposed use. Such use is permitted under UWS 21.04 and UW–Madison’s Procedures Governing Use of University Facilities.
- Scheduling: In order to make facilities available for Athletic Department primary use, to preserve open dates for scheduling revenue-producing events, and to have the time required to maintain the facilities, events not sponsored by or invited by the Athletic Department generally will not be scheduled in Athletic Department facilities, especially when facilities in other campus buildings are capable of accommodating the event.
- The facility use agreement for an event may include a clause that allows the Athletic Department to reschedule the event or arrange for the moving of the event to an alternate location to accommodate the scheduling of an event that is more appropriate in an Athletic Department facility.
Direct Costs: All Category I groups, defined as university departments, programs, and registered student organizations that are sponsoring non-revenue producing events, will be assessed the direct costs generated by their use of an Athletic Department facility. Direct costs include charges for special services and equipment, computed on the basis of cost to the division, where such equipment or services are provided by Athletics and not ordinarily available with the facility. Examples of such additional charges include special setup, special police and fire protection, and special janitorial needs. Standard rates will be established by the Athletic Department for labor and equipment provided by the Athletic Department. An administrative fee will also be assessed for all non-Athletic Department-contracted services or supplies.
Rental Charge Amount and Direct Cost Charge: Except for Category I (university departments, programs, and registered student organizations sponsoring non-revenue producing events), all groups using an Athletic Department facility will be assessed the direct costs (per Section IV) and a rental charge The direct costs will reflect the standard rates established by the Athletic Department. The rental charge amount is categorized by the defined sponsoring organization and whether or not the event is revenue-producing.
- A Category II base rental charge will be assessed for all “invited” groups using Athletic Department facilities and for university departments, programs, and registered student organizations that host revenue-producing events where the revenue generated is budgeted to cover only the costs of the event or associated conference.
- A Category III base rental charge amount, plus a negotiated additional charge, will be assessed to all “invited” for-profit organization users of Athletic Department facilities. An additional charge may be assessed for any department, program, registered student organization, or “invited” non-profit group sponsoring revenue-producing events where the revenue generated is intended to exceed the cost of the event.
- A Category IV base rental rate will be negotiated and assessed to all “invited’ for-profit commercial events such as concerts and family shows. Such commercial events cannot become exempted from base rental charges through university sponsorship.
- The rental charge amount(s) will be established by the Athletic Board. The direct costs and rental charge are intended to provide for the needs of the Athletic facilities, operating costs, and other indirect expenses.