The syllabus included on a course proposal form must follow the requirements for course syllabi at UW-Madison. Some information that is specific to a given offering (instructor name, location etc.) is not required (although it is recommended that it be included) all items listed below are required if they apply.
Note: several items listed below can be copied and pasted from the course proposal. For specific help on how to populate these elements on the sample syllabus, see the KnowledgeBase documents on the Course Proposal Sample Syllabus Requirements and Course Proposal Elements.
Special accrediting bodies may have additional or different syllabus requirements.
The syllabus must include:
- Institution Name
- Subject and Catalog number
- Course title
- Number of credits
- Course designations and attributes
- Instructional mode
- Specify how credit hours are met by the course
- Regular and substantive student-instructor interaction
- Course description
- Learning outcomes
- Required textbook, software and other course materials
- An indication of the time devoted to individual topics together with the hours of instructor-student instruction and/or discussion
- Representative list of readings
- Exams, Quizzes, Papers & Other Major Graded Work
- Homework and other Assignments
- Discussion Sessions (if applicable)
- Laboratory Sessions (if applicable)