This policy provides time for UW–Madison employees to participate in job interviews for career opportunities within UW–Madison during scheduled work hours.
- Employees may attend interviews for career opportunities at UW–Madison without loss of pay.
- Employees must provide reasonable notice to the supervisor in order to attend without loss of pay.
- Interview scheduling
- Employees may attend interviews for career opportunities at UW–Madison without loss of pay for interviews scheduled during the employee’s normally scheduled work hours unless the employee is interviewing for a career opportunity that occurs on a different shift (see III.2.) Any interview or part of an interview that occurs outside of the employee’s normally scheduled work hours will not be counted or recorded as work time
- Employees interviewing for a career opportunity in which the position has a different shift than the employee’s current shift may receive supervisory approval for up to eight (8) hours per year of interview time in order to attend interviews without loss of pay.
- Reasonable travel time from one campus work location to another campus work location should also be included in the approved interview time.
- Employees should first explore adjusting their schedule or using accrued leave time (vacation, personal holiday, etc.) in order to attend the interview rather than using interview time under this policy. Efforts should also be taken to schedule interviews outside of work time in order to minimize the impact on the workplace.
- In limited circumstances, requests for time to attend an interview may be denied if, after consultation and discussion with the employee, the supervisor determines that operational needs will not permit the employee’s absence from the workplace during scheduled work hours.
- If employee provides adequate notice and supervisor denies request, the employee has the right to appeal the denial first to their Human Resources Representative and then consistent with the applicable grievance policy.
- Requests to attend interviews without loss of pay should follow procedures similar to the departmental and/or divisional procedures used to request time off for vacation. Supervisors will review and/or approve requests in accordance with this policy.
- The university shall not bear any responsibility for reimbursement (i.e., travel expenses, etc.) associated with interviewing for career opportunities at UW–Madison.
Consequences for Non-Compliance
Failure to comply with this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.