The University of Wisconsin-Madison will meet the requirements stated in the United States Government (USG) Policy for Institutional Oversight of Life Sciences Dual Use Research of Concern. This policy requires the university to designate an Institutional Contact for Dual Use Research (ICDUR) to serve as the institutional point of contact for questions regarding compliance with and implementation of the requirements of the policy. The ICDUR will serve as the liaison between the university and the relevant program officers at the USG funding agencies and, for non-USG funded research, between the university and NIH (or other USG agencies as indicated by NIH).
The ICDUR at the University of Wisconsin-Madison will also:
- Develop and review internal policies related to DURC.
- Serve as liaison between the principal investigators (PIs) and the DURC Subcommittee.
- Provide review materials to the DURC Subcommittee prior to the scheduled meeting.
- Serve as chair of the DURC Subcommittee and participate in DURC reviews.
- Conduct DURC reviews of individual experiments and presentations as needed.
- Write DURC Subcommittee reports and assessments and coordinate review by the Subcommittee.
- Provide DURC Subcommittee reports and assessments to the IBC and BTF for review.
- Notify the USG within 30 days of the DURC Subcommittee review.
- Assist the PI and DURC Subcommittee in the development and review of risk mitigation plans within 90 days of USG notification.
- Schedule annual review of research grants to ensure the DURC assessment has not changed.
- Schedule annual reviews of risk mitigation plans to ensure the plans still mitigate the risks associated with the research.
- Notify the USG of any changes to the DURC assessment or risk mitigation plan within 30 days.
- Provide DURC training to researchers and committee members as needed, ensuring all researchers and reviewers have received the appropriate DURC training for their roles.
- Maintain all records pertaining to DURC reviews and the development and review of risk mitigation plans.
- Ensure PI and research compliance with DURC policies and risk mitigation plans.
- Report any instances of noncompliance with the USG policy, as well as mitigation measures undertaken by the institution to prevent recurrences of similar noncompliance, within 30 days to the USG funding agency or NIH for non-USG funded research.