Payment/reimbursement for long-distance ground transportation or local transportation is allowable when necessary to conduct UW business. Travelers are expected to utilize the most cost-effective, reasonable means of transportation.
- NCAA-funded travel has specific requirements, some of which may be less restrictive than university policies or rates. NCAA-funded travel will be governed by NCAA policy.
- Sponsored projects (e.g., fund 144 or 133) are subject to the terms and conditions of the specific award, as well as applicable program guidelines, which may restrict the use of funds for certain types of expenses. Please contact the Research and Sponsored Programs accountant for your award with any questions.
- Reimbursable Ground and Local Transportation. Long-distance ground transportation (e.g., city-to-city bus, train) and local transportation (e.g. taxi, ride share, city bus, subway, ferry) are reimbursable when necessary to conduct UW business. Reimbursement is limited to the most cost-effective, reasonable transportation option available. Transportation between the traveler’s home and assigned work location, regardless of transportation method, is not payable/reimbursable.
- Train travel. Train travel is limited to coach class unless traveling overnight when accommodations are limited to a roomette.
- Ride-Sharing Services. Expenses for the use of ride-sharing services (e.g., Uber, Lyft) while in travel status are payable/reimbursable. Use of premium ride-sharing services (e.g., Uber Select, Lyft Premier) is not payable/reimbursable.
- Tips. Tips for drivers are limited to 20% of the total fare.
- Receipt/Documentation Requirements. Receipts are required for the payment/reimbursement of ground transportation costs unless claiming reimbursement for expenses of $25 or less. Supporting documentation must reference the purpose of the trip and the departing location/destination.
Consequences for Noncompliance
Noncompliant purchases will not be paid or reimbursed by the university.